Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Grocery Store Woes: The Lifelong Commitment Face

It's a safe bet to make that every single employee of a grocery store hates this question: "So, what do you do for a living?" Not only do you have to confess to being a slave in that abysmal place you've heard so many people complain about, but you have to watch as they try to cover up the look of horror that crosses their features.

You've all seen it, that slight nod and pause and then comes the: "Oh, well that's...good. How's that working out for you? Are the hours good?". You know they don't actually care but for some reason they keep asking questions and prolonging the torture as you explain to them that you're just trying to make ends meet or that you're a student or that it was the only job you could latch onto for the moment. I've had this happen to me more times than anyone could imagine, and it gets worse every time.

I don't need to be reminded that the place I work at is a lesser-than-average kind of job to hold; I don't need people to look at me as though I'm making a lifelong commitment to this place and that there's something wrong with me for it. True, there are people who work entry-level grocery jobs for many, many years - these people will typically make you feel like you never left high school, if I might add - but I am not one of them, and neither are a lot of people.

So hey, Mr. I've Got a Real Job, why don't you take your judgement to someone who's on your own level and leave me to deal with the people on mine. At this point, I'm used to dealing with their dramatic school-age gossip anyway.

No comments: